We’ve got something a little bit special for you today, a really great tool to use with special needs, or just generally with children to help them understand their emotions: the emotion generator / spinner.
This is a Christmas themed one, with a Santa and a Reindeer included, but it could be used anytime of year, as it’s a great help to kids everywhere, whatever the season. This is £5.95, but again is free if you have a subscription to our Time to Pee premium club.
How the emotion generator works
The way to use the emotion spinner is simple, all you need to do is:
- Grab yourself a split pin, or indeed a pencil,
- Push the split pin through the centre of the spinner, both the top, and the bottom part of the spinner,
- Making sure you have cut out the window so that you can clearly see which emotion the spinner lands on, and
- Spin the wheel, and see which emotion the generator lands on!
What you do them is up to you. You can use the emotion generator to:
- Talk through what each facial expression is,
- Help the children to understand what those feelings are, AND how they might feel in their body when they are experiencing those emotions,
- Help them to practise experiencing those emotions in their faces – so for example, what would THEY look like if they were happy or if they were sad, or
- Get them to name the emotions that Santa and the Reindeer have, to help them to recognise those emotions a little more in other people.
Do check out some of the mental health coloring worksheets on the site too – and we hope to see you again soon.